Saturday, March 14, 2009

World Language

Most people think that taking a second language is going to be useful; I'm not disagreeing with this, because I find understanding spanish useful. The thing that I don't understand is, why do we have to learn spanish starting in 1st grade? We don't even learn anything, and there's no homework, meaning they just waste 45 minutes of the day; I'm not saying that I WANT homework (I'd have to be crazy first), but I wonder why we start in 1st grade. Out of the 6 years I've taken spanish, I only learned how to conjugate verbs and useful sentence structure stuff in 7th grade, and all the rest of the 6 years are wasted. I mean, learning out to say 'horse' and 'apple' is ok, but it's not exactly useful. I think that people should only start taking a second language in 7th grade, or not take it so early in life and not that long of a period of time when you DO take it in 1st grade.
"The time could be spent for more important things; such as math." -my dad.

8 comments:

Jill said...

i find this true, and if someone disagrees with me, then speak up now!
annapurna, when i said 'i'd have to be crazy first', i do hope that you DO NOT say 'no comment'.
yeah, i just wrote this in 5-10 minutes, so it's not that great, but still, i'm pretty sure i got the message across.

Dawn Uzumaki said...

I think that we learn Spanish in first grade because it's to get use to using our tongue and pronunciation that is used in other languages more than English. Later on, the changing of the pitch when saying foreign words is easier for us because we've learned it through Spanish, no?

Jill said...

and also, even though i HATE my study periods with my dad, i can't help agreeing with his input... the 'the time could be spent on more important things...' part.

Jill said...

sad... no one ever visits our blogs anymore...

Annapurna said...

I wasn't even thinking about saying "no comment". Anyway, I agree. And I love the quote u put at the bottom.

Jill said...

i am on the internet on a nintendo DS... isn't that so cool? anyways, to whoever still checks our blog out, i hope that u're having a great spring break... (i would wish others a good spring break, but no one actually stops by anymore... 7th grade is just too busy, i guess.)

Flora said...

seventh grade isn't busy, not really. i have testing stuff-equivilant to NJask next week! noooo!

Jill said...

well, it depends when you say 'busy' i mean, you could have all the time in the world and waste it on chat (like i do), and never get anything done.