Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Invisibility Research

In THINGS NOT SEEN, a boy turns invisible. Since I have been interested in invisibility for a long time, I decided to research it.
People are trying to create Invisibility Cloaks, as mentioned in the Harry Potter series, and some people have ideas. In fact, there are scientists in a university in Tokyo that have "already" created one. However, when I saw an image of the person in the cloak, I didn’t think she was a lot harder to see in it than out of it. The cloak projects everything behind her to the front of her, so it appears that you see through her. In this model, you have to be standing in a certain location to see the person like this.
There is another type of cloak being developed currently, and though I have not seen it, I think it will work better than the previous one. This one intends to bend the light off of the object, so that our eye can only pick up anything next to it and behind it. It will be similar to how we see things near a radiator or fire -- everything around it seems to be wavy. The scientists are trying to create this cloak within eighteen months. Some of this research was done by John Pendry of Imperial College, London.
These are some ways that scientists plan on creating invisibility cloaks. They say it will be used in the army sooner than we expect... I say I’ll use it for pranks sooner than anyone can suspect!
My source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12961080/
http://science.howstuffworks.com/invisibility-cloak.htm

3 comments:

Jill said...

it would be cool if they created an invisbility cloak that worked like harry potter's.

Anonymous said...

that was very interesting

Anonymous said...

anonymous reminds me of someone....rg by any chance?